Tuesday, May 20, 2014

~TALK TO ME TUESDAY-MARCH 20, 2014~





                         TALK TO ME TUESDAY WITH JOSEPH C. PHILLIPS
                                      (ex- Justice Ward, GH)





                                                    JOSEPH AS JUSTICE WARD ON GH
Welcome Joseph! What projects are you working on right now?

Lisa,
right now, I am not working on anything.  Two years ago, my wife and I opened a restaurant, so I left the business to run our little restaurant.  Alas, we are now closed. I am keeping myself busy trying to close out business for the store, pay off our bills, of which there were many, and taking care of the house.  I am at a point in my life when I must reinvent myself, find a path for this next phase of my life.

What was your time like on GH?
 
I have mostly very fond memories of G.H.  I truly enjoyed working with the people in the cast and crew.  Of course, I recall John Ingle, who recently passed.  John was such a good man.  He was kind, funny, helpful, wise...I really loved that man.  And his wife!  I loved working with 
Roselyn Cash.  Wow!  I recall when she died, i cried like a baby.Tony Geary was great, Maurice, Sean, Senait, and on and on.  I can't think of anyone that I did not enjoy spending time with on the set.  
I also loved playing the part of Justice Ward!  Claire Lebein loved the ward family and loved Justice.  She wrote such good stuff for me and the Ward family.  it wasn't until after she left the program that things went south.  Of course that was the time Justice became a coat holder in the Quatermaine mansion.  A particular head writer told me that he just didn't know how to write for black characters...Yes, I sat there with my mouth agape.  But the writing was on the wall.  The Ward family was on the way out.  Those were sad days. Unhappy days.  Miserable days!
One of my favorite memories was doing " The midnight train to georgia with Roselyn, Tony and Johathon. The trial defending laura for the murder that I committed was also tons of fun. 
But mostly, what i recall from those days was how great the fans were.  G.H. fans were loyal and loved the ward family.
 
 
 
Would you do another soap?
 
 
I would do another Soap in a heart beat.
 
 
Do you still keep in touch with your former castmates?
 
I don't really keep in touch with people.  I haven't spoken to senait in a dozen years.  My wife and i used to hang out with maurice and his wife. We were both young newly married couples back then.  i haven't seen them in a very long time.  Sean kanan came through the restaurant and it was good to see him.  I have had a few conversations with John Lindstrom...Thats about it.

What is your advice to up and coming actors?
 
Mostly my advice to up and coming actors is to get out of the business as fast as you can!  lol  before its too late!   But seriously...I think it is important to have a skill other than acting that you can sell to make money while you are waiting for the big part.  don't get caught with no marketable skill!  The other thing I would say is to learn your craft.  Oh yes and develop a thick skin because you will hear the word NO a lot.  
 
Thank you so much Joseph! All the best to you!
Good luck to you.
JCP

No comments:

Post a Comment